Like the porterhouse, the T-bone steak is cut from the short loin. If you're looking at a cow diagram, it'll be right in the middle. It contains mostly strip steak with a smaller amount of tenderloin on the other side.
This is a tender cut with great flavor, and it doesn't require much in the way of seasonings or preparation. If you're someone who likes your steak medium to medium-well, a T-bone is a good choice because it stays tender and tasty even at higher temps.
Recipe. This is a quick & easy fool-proof way to grill a steak to perfection.
- Let the steak sit out at room temperature for an hour or so. Remove excess fat (to prevent flare-ups). Salt and pepper it very well.
- Get your grill nice and hot (650ºF or higher)
- Place steak over direct heat. Grill for 2 minutes, then rotate 90º (if you're looking for sexy criss-cross grill marks), and grill of 2 more minutes.
- Flip the steak, grill for 2 minutes, rotate 90º, then give it 2 more minutes, or until the internal temperature is at 125º (for medium rare)
- Rest the steak for about 10 minutes, then enjoy!
A T-bone steak is tender, juicy, flavorful, easy to cook, and easy to love.